Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thing 17 - Tagging and Social Bookmarking with Delicious

For this blog post I took a look at Delicious, an online social networking tool that allows the user to create bookmarks for links he/she is interested in.  The user downloads an icon that allows him/her to tag sites and enter keywords and descriptions to organize the sites.  This is a public site, so other users can access your bookmarks as well.  This is a useful tool for teachers because it allows them to search terms and see what other teachers have "liked" in an effort to create more interesting lesson plans.  The site can be accessed anywhere, so the user is not dependent on using a certain computer to access the information. 

I did a search of "educational technology" and found over 92,000 links.  Luckily, more than one keyword can be used to describe a link so I can narrow my search down to a more manageable size.  Beneath each link are a list of keywords used to describe it, so the user can get a better idea of what is contained in the link.  There is an "add" icon so that users can add the links from their search into their "My Links" list.  Users can also save their search if they wish to do so. Also, it is possible to follow other Delicious users.  So, if I find a teacher who is teaching the same subject and grade level as myself, and I find their tags useful and interesting, I can add them to my feed and follow them.

If you are familiar with Pinterest you have an idea of what Delicious is all about.  However, with Delicious, one does not have to wait for an invitation.  You can sign-up today. :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment