Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thing 16 - Get Organized with Web 2.0 Tools

For this post I was to look at different Web 2.0 tools that help the user create online start pages, to do lists and a third of my choosing.  I started off with the start pages.  First, I looked at iGoogle since I already have a Google account.  The initial setup looked fairly simple, however I was drawn to the little blurb that stated that iGoole will no longer be available after November 1, 2013.  So I went to check out Pageflakes.  Hmmm....that page was down.  Next I tried Netvibes.  It looked a bit intimidating.  It was interesting that different plans could be purchased for business use.  However, it felt a little too complex for me.  So, I ended up back at iGoogle.  I created a start page and I really like it.  It does make me sad that it will no longer be around in a year.  I might use it until then, however.  I won't make it my homepage since I share a computer with the rest of my household.  But it is nice to be able to see everything I need on one page.  I would recommend this start page if it wasn't retiring in a year.

I already use an online calendar through Google, which is why I opted for the to do list. Online calendars are very useful, especially if you have to plan activities with other individuals. My husband and I both use google calendar so that we can view each other's appointments. My brother created one and added all the extended family members birthdays to it, which he opened up to all the family members. Online calendars are a great way to share activities with a group of people.

Next I went to create a to do list.  I tried Ta da list first.  I was once again met with notification that the site is retiring.  They are no longer accepting new members.  So I went to Remember the Milk.  I was able to create an account with them and made a to do list for my classes on it.  I like how there are different tabs: personal, study, work, all lists.  It is neat that I am able to e-mail the list or log in and look at it any time, any where.  I was even able to add my list to the start page that I created.  Nice!  It was very easy to set up and create.  As someone who has things scattered about, it is a great way to keep track of everything in one spot.  I would recommend Remember the Milk to anyone who needs or likes to create to do lists.

I then browsed the other Web 2.0 tools to search for something else to try.  Many of them I had already looked at for earlier 23 Things assignments.  I decided to try Empressr which allows the user to create slides and slide shows.  Unfortunately I had trouble creating an account.  The "submit" icon seems to be bugged at the moment.  So I was unable to create an account and give it a try.  Instead I opted for the PDF converter.  It was very simple to use.  I selected a file, uploaded it, and then selected "convert".  I only had to wait a few seconds for my file to be converted into a PDF.  It was very quick and easy to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment