This blog is dedicated to Flickr mashups and third party
tools. I chose two sites from the ones
listed to play and experiment with. This
took much more time than I thought it would.
I spent about a day on it and experienced various levels of frustration.
First, I had to decide which mashups/tools that I wanted to
use. I was disheartened when I would
find one that sounded fun and interesting only to find out that I had to
purchase it or that it was only available to use on an iPhone. I finally found one that was free and
available to use on my PC, Blubblr.
Bubblr is a mashup where users can create cartoons using
Flickr photos. You can create just one
slide or many slides. A search tool is
available to search the Flickr commons for photos to use. I searched “cats” and “funny cats” to create
my cartoon. Three text bubbles are
available to place on the photos that you choose. They are a speech bubble, thought bubble and a
rectangle box. It was pretty easy to
create. The hardest part was picking out
photos and thinking of what to write.
This mashup would be good to use in class for an
introduction to a new subject area. It
can also be used to create silly reminders for the students. It is a tool that can add some fun to
directions, reminders, or subject matters.
The next mashup that I found is Trippermap. This mashup takes your photos from Flickr and
puts them on a flash map that you can use on blogs and websites. There is a free version, as well as a premium
version. The free version allows you to
place fifty locations. The premium
version, which costs $9.75 annually, includes unlimited locations, route lines,
Google earth link, custom colors, Google map version, first priority in
scanning Flickr photos and EXIF support.
For my map, I utilized the free version.
To start, you need to create a Trippermap account, which was
easy to do. Then you enter your e-mail
for Flickr and Trippermap pulls your public photos with location tags and
places them on the map. It is much
easier to tag your photos first, before setting up the Trippermap account, as I
discovered the hard way. If you follow
their directions it has you place your photos on the Flickr map and says it
will pull those photos onto your Trippermap.
I did this and waited for it to scan the photos only to discover an
empty map. I went back into Flickr and
tagged my photos and had Trippermap rescan them and eventually they appeared on
the map.
The downside of this tool is that you have to tell
Trippermap to rescan or scan for new photos when you want to add more to your
map. This takes some time to do. It took a few hours for me. With the free version there was nothing indicating
that the photos were being scanned (like a bar). I just left my Trippermap account open and
waited. I don’t think it had finished
scanning when I selected “get my map”, but I had a handful of photos on my map,
which was good enough at this point. The
tool advises that it will send you an e-mail when your map is ready, which it
did the first time. However, I never
received another notification after I had it rescan my photos.
I’m sure that once you get the hang of it, Trippermap would
be much easier to use. For me, it was
just too time consuming and frustrating.
Tagging your photos in Flickr with their geographic location when you
upload them will allow a smoother experience.
I don’t think that I would use this tool in my personal life or as a
teacher. It may be a good tool for a
geography class, or, perhaps, if students are reading about someone’s travels. I just kept thinking that Flickr has a map
tool so why use this. The only plus is
that you can post it on a blog or website.
Of course, if you spring for the premium version, you can customize the
map as well.
There are many different mashups and tools available online. I’m sure if I took the time I could find more
to use in a classroom setting. It would
help if I had a specific type of tool in mind that I was looking for rather
than just blindly searching.
Side note: Of the
photos I shared online, I did not include any with people in them. I just don’t feel comfortable sharing
pictures of my family to the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment