For this assignment I was to look at Zoho Writer and Google Doc's, compare them and tell how I might use them in the classroom. I downloaded Zoho Writer and gave it a go first. I was a bit disappointed in it. First of all, it isn't very clear what you are creating. I thought I was creating a document and it turned out I was creating a chat...I think. The title of my document was "Just Playing Around" so when I realized that it might be a chat topic I was a little concerned. I quickly went to figure out how to shut it down. Once I completed that task I did find the word processor and attempted to type something on it. I quickly learned that the word processor is very sub par. The cursor does not line up correctly. It was above the line I was actually on, and over a few spaces. So when I clicked on a word that I wanted to delete an tried to delete it other words were deleted instead. Not the best thing for a word processor to do. I made a note to myself to delete my account on Zoho and went to investigate Google Docs.
What is more frustrating than clicking on a link only to find out that it is outdated? That is how I felt when I clicked on the Google Docs link and was redirected (numerous times according to my browser history) to Google Drive. I then searched for Google Docs on Google in an effort to insure that I was accessing the correct application. I soon realized that I was, indeed. Google Docs had been updated and is now referred to Google Drive. Google Drive includes its own memory for any documents, spreadsheets, drawings, etc. that the user creates on it. The user is also able to save documents sent to them by other users. This drive can be accessed from numerous devices so that the user does not have to rely on one location to access information. Pretty cool.
I downloaded Google Drive and watched the video on it. I then looked through some of the things that one can create on it. They include documents, spreadsheets, forms, drawings and presentations. I decided to create a drawing and played around with some of the tools for a bit. Once it was clear that my artist abilities would not be shinning forth, I went on to create a quote on top of a picture. I found a quote that I liked, related to my field and then looked in Creative Commons for an image to add to it. Here is my end result:
After reviewing both Zoho and Google Docs it is clear that Google Docs (Drive) is a better choice to utilize in the classroom. Students can create and share easily thanks to Google Drive. Their creations can include word documents, drawings, spreadsheets and presentations. If they are working in groups, they can easily create documents and send them to other group members for review and collaboration. It can also be used to create assignments which can then be turned in to me via Google Drive for grading. Of course this is all dependent on the access students have to computers, but is a great possibility. I would definitely look into using Google Drive. or something similar, in my classroom.

No comments:
Post a Comment